Ford issues 2 more recalls of 2013 Escape after fires; total now 7

To tackle the overheating issue in the 2013 Ford Escape, the business plans to modify the engine shielding, cooling and management techniques. Autos topic to each of the new recalls also would have their fuel lines inspected and repaired, if required, at the same time.

Associated Subjects

DETROIT — Ford Motor Co. nowadays explained it is issuing 2 further recalls of its 2013 Escape crossover right after acquiring reports of fires in 13 far more cars.

They bring the complete quantity of recalls of the 2013 Escape to 6, 5 of which involve fire dangers on versions equipped with a 1.6-liter engine. One particular of the new recalls is to inspect repairs carried out to 11,821 vehicles as portion of a previous campaign, right after Ford found that services technicians set up some fuel lines incorrectly.

The bigger of the recalls cover 161,334 cars globally, such as 139,917 in the United States. Ford said the engine cylinder head in these automobiles could overheat, triggering cracking and oil leaks that could outcome in a fire underneath the hood. The business explained no 1 was injured in the reported fires.

All of the automobiles involved in the smaller recall, 9,469 of which are in the United States, also are covered by the more substantial one particular.

Ford spokeswoman Kelli Felker explained some Escapes are element of all 5 recalls associated to fire dangers, even though she did not know how a lot of. The preceding recalls were announced in July, September and November of 2012.

“In some cases it’;s the same automobile, but other than that it truly is a different situation,” Felker mentioned. “The recalls we’;ve done previously have been powerful. This is a separate problem.”

Felker stated Ford does not know how a lot of of the vehicles getting recalled to reinspect fuel-line installations require repairs. If the lines were improperly put in, they could chafe above time and leak fuel. Ford has acquired reviews of gasoline odors and leaks but no fires or injuries.

“We found that some of the cars had been incorrectly serviced,” Felker explained. “Out of an abundance of caution, we’;re going to deliver them back and make sure.”

Heat shield

Ford said it would start generating repairs Jan. 23. To address the overheating issue, it programs to modify the engine shielding, cooling and manage methods. Automobiles topic to each of the new recalls also would have their fuel lines inspected and repaired, if necessary, at the same time.

“Ford is committed to offering our buyers with top good quality cars,” Ford mentioned in an e-mailed statement. “We are equally committed to addressing possible issues and responding swiftly for our consumers.

“This is a voluntary recall that we have selected to initiate due to the fact we think it is the proper thing to do. Even though we acknowledge the inconvenience recalls lead to our customers, we believe they will appreciate these actions, which we are taking on their behalf to aid make certain their security.”

Even though the repeated recalls of the Escape, which was redesigned for the 2013 model year, raised concerns about Ford’;s top quality and automobile launch processes, they have not had a important impact on product sales.

The Escape was Ford’;s second most popular nameplate in 2012, behind only the F-series pickup, and product sales have risen 14 % to 250,543 autos this year through October. The National Highway Visitors Safety Administration has acquired 117 complaints about the 2013 Escape, in contrast with 72 complaints about the 2012 model, which has not been recalled.

Lincoln recall

Individually, Ford explained right now that it is recalling 6,329 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid automobiles to reprogram the powertrain management module. It said a manufacturing error in a sensor could result in the module to incorrectly think the vehicle is in neutral and enable the transmission to shift out of park without having the brake pedal utilized. This could lead to the car to move unexpectedly and violates government laws with regards to theft safety and rollaway prevention.

Ford explained it is not aware of any accidents, injuries or thefts connected to that concern. The recall covers 2013 and 2014 MKZ Hybrid autos built through Sept. 24.

You can attain Nick Bunkley at nbunkley@crain.com. — Follow Nick on
Twitter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *