If you happen to be a regular reader of vehicle testimonials (my income says you are), you’;ve no doubt come across prose about how a car “checks all the appropriate boxes.” It really is a frequent phrase – I’;m guilty of making use of it myself. And I am about to use it yet again.
You see, I’;ve just spent a week with the 2014 Audi A7 TDI, proven right here against the backdrop of sunny SoCal, even although my stint was invested slopping by way of this completely wonderful winter we’;ve been having in Detroit. If you are one particular of our podcast listeners, you have presently heard me wax poetic about the A7 TDI, and the much more I reflect on this diesel darling, the more I firmly feel that this vehicle definitely, without a doubt, checks all the right boxes.
Well, virtually all of them, anyway.
- I’;ll spare you the lovey-dovey paragraphs about the Audi A7’;s layout. Lengthy story quick: it is stunning. There is nothing at all about the TDI model that alters the visually gorgeous A7. (Individuals decals are a press fleet specific, will not fret.) I notably adore the look of this automobile with these larger, optional twenty-inch wheels, and whilst white is hardly my 1st option, the crisp Glacier paint is subdued adequate to genuinely allow the A7’;s flowing lines do the speaking. Attractiveness? Box checked, without a doubt.
- Clearly, the large story here is the fitment of Audi’;s 3.-liter turbo-diesel V6, tuned to 240 horsepower and 428 pound-feet of torque in this application, the latter of which comes on robust at just one,750 rpm. Operating by way of an 8-pace automatic, and hitting the ground via Audi’;s Quattro all-wheel-drive technique, this force is enough to energy the 4,266-pound A7 TDI to 60 miles per hour in 5.5 seconds. That’;s truly quite rapid, when you consider about it. To wit: that is the identical -60 time as a base Porsche Boxster.
- The way the A7 TDI applies its power is what actually helps make this package deal special – there is just a mass of torque, way down lower, and with the 8-velocity automatic keeping factors chugging below 2,500 rpm, that twist is usually readily available. That transmission is a smooth operator, and I by no means felt a want to use guide mode. I can not recall a single time when the 8-speed misbehaved or wasn’;t maintaining factors moving along with speed and efficiency.
- Which brings me to the massive box-checking level of this A7: fuel economy. Audi estimates this factor will muster up 24 miles per gallon in the city, 38 mpg highway and 29 mpg mixed. Go straightforward on the highway, and you may easily see numbers about forty mpg. In reality, my common for the week bested the mixed rating: I noticed just in excess of 34 mpg in a pretty even mix of driving.
- The steering is excellent, but not spectacular. The chassis is properly-tuned, but made for comfort above all. And as I’;ve mentioned the much more relaxed qualities and shift patterns of the 3. TDI and 8-velocity transmission are a great fit for this setup. The automobile is still quite involving to drive, but as a day-to-day diver, there is no scenario in which the A7 TDI feels as well harsh or company.
- That can also be explained for the car’;s all-weather prowess – something I put to function during my loan of the auto. Audi’;s Quattro all-wheel drive is just as stellar as ever, and when mixed with comparatively respectable ground clearance and appropriate winter tires (Dunlop SP Winter Sport rubbers, here), the A7 proved to be unstoppable in the crummy things.
- Relaxed, also – the A7 interior is unchanged for the TDI, and is just as wonderful as it is across the board. Audi’;s onboard tech is best-notch (my close friends nevertheless get a enormous kick out of the Google Earth navigation integration), the seats are cozy, normal wood inlays seem (and truly feel) great, and the cabin simply seats 4 adults with a lot of breathing room.
- So, where’;s the rub? Naturally, the bottom line. The entire A7 TDI package deal begins at $ 66,900, which isn’;t unreasonable, but then including things like the Bang & Olufsen sound technique, Prestige trim, Driver Help pack, 20-inch Sport pack (which demands incorporating the 19-inch Sport pack, for some explanation), and a lot more, you finish up at $ 81,395, such as $ 895 for location. And which is without having goodies like the ultra-amazing total-LED headlamps. For comparison, the not-as-attractive BMW 535d xDrive I examined earlier this 12 months came in at $ 68,725 with all the identical, if not far more, kit. Is that lovely design and style truly worth $ 13,000?
- The A7 TDI is absolutely the auto I would have in the section. There is almost absolutely nothing it cannot do. But that potential comes at a price.